“I think he’s a really talented guy.
I think he has an eye for things that I haven’t seen yet, and I hope that’s something that people can relate to,” Abrams told the Hollywood Reporter.
“I’m excited for people to see this.
I hope people see it.”
Abrams, whose “Star Trek” series has featured the Klingons, the Borg and the Federation, also said that he’d like to see his next project, “Star Wars,” get a second season.
Abrams previously said he hoped to work on the next “Star” installment, but that the project was being delayed due to scheduling conflicts.
The studio’s plans for “StarWars: The Force Awakens” include a new “Starring James Earl Jones” spinoff.
The actor has already said that a spinoff would be “the best thing ever” if it ever happens.
The new Star Wars film, which opens July 16, will be directed by J.J. Abrams, the writer of the prequel “The Clone Wars.”
“StarTrek” fans are also hoping to see a new version of the series’ iconic space battle on television, but Abrams said he doesn’t know if that would be happening.
“We’re not in that mode yet,” he said.
“Maybe in the future.
We’ll see what happens.”
“The Force Awakens,” which stars Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac and Andy Serkis, hits theaters Dec. 18.
The original series, which aired from 1979 to 1985, featured two Star Trek pilots, “The Cage” and “Balance of Terror.”